Monday, November 10, 2008

a Die, a life

Isn't it funny how dice simply just do the rolls that are appropriate to the moment ? they can turn the perfect plan into a fiasco or on the contrary let a novice humiliate an adept. Randomness ? I think not.
I believe that critical rolls involving the life or destiny of a character do not follow the principles of probabilities, but instead, they evade Newton's laws, have an awareness of the situation, and turn it for the best, or the worst. The result depends on the situation and, obviously, the die.
I have been playing role playing games for a couple of years now ( 5 I believe) and the choice of the die is very important. I still remember my very first game : playing a rogue in DnD 3.5. I didn't have any dice, and had to borrow some. 90% of my rolls were "4".( move silently, detect traps, saving rolls...) After I asked for another D20, it went great ! You choose dice not because they do good rolls, but because the dice accepted you, and both of you will together make this critical hit on the final boss, for the despair of the game master.

Situation is also a critical factor (pun intended). The simple player - master situation makes rolls a whole lot different. I have mastered an Anima once, and all my rolls that could potentially kill a player were criticals ! Thankfully, the player who was in said critical situation did also 3 open rolls, so the attack was nullified, but the power of dice can be scary.
As a player, I have so many anecdotes about critical failures at the wrong moment that it would take too long to tell all of them. I'll instead give one that was just last Saturday : Playing a Bard in DnD 2.0, I did a roll for bardic knowledge for the entity "door" (a NPC told us that it existed), and succeed. The game master then turns towards me smiling, and tells me the famous "do me a saving throw". I had to do a natural 20 (difficulty 15, with a -5 modifier on my roll) to save my character as the power of the entity started to make him bigger and slightly transparent. Guess what ? I did the natural 20 !
"The dice, they are trying to kill me" is simply a stupid statement. A bond of trust is necessary between the player and the dice, as well as a necessity. Do you need a critical in that battle ? Of course some dice are sadist and won't let an opportunity to make the group suffer from a critical one at the worst possible moment, since natural ones often lead to stress as well as hilarity around the table.
All in all, trust your dice, make sure you've got some reciprocal love, enjoy the ignorance of laws of probabilities, and most of all, enjoy the game.


EDIT : 13th of november :
After thinking it through, it seems that I am somehow dismissing Murphy's law. That is somewhat true : a critical failure is always bond to happen at the worst possible moment. However, a natural 20 can arrive at the most appropriate time, saving a character's life.

No comments: